Apricot & Almond Pastries

2 April 2013


Over the long Easter weekend, I made time to try out a few new recipes: after all it was way too cold to go out. For the second year running I made my own Hot Cross Buns - both a traditional fruit and chocolate chip version. They knock the socks off the shop bought ones I can tell you. They are, and will always be, part of my Easter baking ritual now. 

I also made these Apricot & Almond Pastries. They were super quick and easy to make. Dredged with a little icing sugar and boxed up in a cushion of coloured tissue paper, they made a nice little gift for the friends we visited on Easter Sunday. The recipe comes from my favourite magazine 'The Simple Things'. I love each and every page of it: it is as if a magazine has be written for me! I like to call it my Monocole Magazine.

Apricot & Almond Pastries

1 pack of ready rolled puff pastry
125g apricot jam
Extra apricot jam for brushing
55g ground almonds
2 tbsp sugar
10g softened butter

Preheat the oven to 200C (180 fan), 400F, gas 6. 

Using a 9am cutter, cut out circles from the pastry. I managed to get 12. Place the pastry discs onto a couple of baking sheets lined with non-stick baking paper. Prick all over with a fork.

To make the frangipane mix, combine the ground almonds, sugar and butter in a bowl. Press a teaspoon or two into the centre of each pastry disc and then top with a couple of teaspoons of apricot jam.

Gently warm through a couple of dessert spoons of the apricot jam in a small pan and brush the warmed jam over each of the pastries.

Bake in the oven for 12 - 15 mins, or until golden.

Allow to cool on the tray for a few minutes and then carefully move to a wire rack. Dredge with a little icing sugar should you so desire. 

Perfect to have with your morning coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment