Birthday No. 9 - The Cake

27 March 2014


This year Lily asked if she could have her birthday party at a 'venue'. To date, I had always held any birthday parties for her at home. It was great when she was younger, but now I'm not so sure how our home would weather 12 nine year old girls. 

I've always throughly enjoyed organising the kids parties: picking a theme, transforming the room, creating invitations, planning games, sourcing treats and preparing the food. So it was with the combination of a heavy heart and light relief that we booked up a Pizza Party for her and her friends. 

However, my only condition to allowing Lily her 'venue' party was that I made the cake and party bags. So for year No.9 I made a 4 layer Chocolate & Vanilla Marble Cake, filled and covered with a Chocolate Chip & Cream Cheese Frosting. I selected bright blooms for decoration along with the 'Lily Biba' cake topper that I made by painting wooden letters and sticking them onto wooden skewers. 

As the children made their pizzas with the restaurant chef, we sat on a table-for-two across the way watching on with a glass of wine, unperturbed by all the flour flying around. 

I think it's fair to say that I have been converted to the idea of 'venue' parties. 

No comments:

Post a Comment